Tuesday, November 20, 2007

1st Snowfall

Hair cut! (Thanks for the pic Shana...)
Good times!
They served us peas at the pub to go with our drinks - so weird!
So it's time I write again! Yikes, I really can't believe how many days go between my posts sometimes!
I was hoping to get some pictures from my co-teacher, but I keep forgetting. Hopefully soon. 3 teachers and I went to the city Paju last Thursday. There was no school for some high school/university visit I think...anyways. It was a really nice day. We had lunch together then went to a little tourist village and finally ended up at English village. It's the weirdest place - when you are driving up to the place you have to go up a high hill. ON the side of the hill it says "English Village" in big white letters - like the Hollywood sign.
It's a place where school kids can come for a few days and experience what it's like to "live" in an English speaking community. The buildings resemble townhouses and larger buildings like city hall or a concert hall for other experiences. It's also supposed to be a big tourist place. There's a bunch of coffee shops, and fast food restaurants, an English pub and English bookstore etc. So it's for all ages really. It was just huge and I heard later that many people think it was a huge waste of money.
We did enjoy a cute musical there about a farm boy trying to save his father's farm from the bank. It was pretty cute.
Then we headed back to Incheon. It took me about 2 hours to get back. I slept most of the way! It was a fun day but tiring also. Even though my co-teachers are English teachers they talk in Korean constantly so it can be very draining to be around people who speak a language you can't understand.
Oh, well, it's part of the experience.

A couple Fridays ago I also taught an open class. This is a class where apparently my co-teacher and were to model co-teaching to other English middle school teachers, board of education, principals and vice-principals...there was a lot of prep work for it and we even did a small rehearsal with the actual class so they wouldn't be too shy or nervous. I've been a "teacher" for less than three months and I'm already modelling how a good co-teaching class should be done. YIKES.
Thankfully our hardwork paid off and we got a great review from the 15 or so other teachers that came. :)

This past weekend we had a girls night and went out, lots of fun. Val wanted to cut my bangs shorter so I let her...didn't turn out as well as she'd hoped so luckily Shana was there to clean it up a little!
Then on Saturday we went out to a Norebang (singing room where you can karaoke). usually you can rent these rooms by the hour. This place let us have the room for free - I think we were there for like 4 hours! So many songs to sing and so much fun!

I'll wrap up with a weather report! It's become much colder out here (about -2) and for some reason we feel like we're more dressed and suffering from the cold than the Koreans! Last night it snowed for the first time since I've been here. Then along with the flakes of snow was a HUGE thunder storm. It was pretty neat! :)

Lots of love.
Oh, and yeah LEAFS! So happy to see they put a good game in against the Sens. Unfortunately, they lost last week to the Habs in OT. Oh well.

2 comments:

Shana said...

I should start putting a copyright on my pictures...... lol I could make some $$

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Yeah, Karen! Nice to see your blog again! I am glad you all helped Katy celebrate her birthday!
(Mary Lou)